(Baltimore) The winner of the Kentucky Derby will not participate in the Preakness.

The owner of the colt Rich Strike, Rich Dawson, confirmed the astonishing information Thursday, 10 days before the race in Maryland. That means there won’t be a Triple Crown winner for a fourth year in a row.

Dawson said he and coach Eric Reed decided to stick with the original plan to give Rich Strike a five-week rest period after the Kentucky Derby. The colt, an 80-1 underdog to win last weekend at Churchill Downs, caused the biggest surprise in more than a century at this prestigious horse race. Only Donerail, in 1913, had brought back more than him by triumphing.

The plan now is to prepare Rich Strike for the Belmont Stakes on June 11. Dawson said it was best for the colt to rest more and not compete in the test which will take place in two weeks in Pimlico.

Rich Strike was not expected to be the favorite to start the Preakness as Derby runner-up colt Epicenter and Kentucky Oaks winner Secret Oath are due to attend. In the absence of Rich Strike, the Derby champion therefore did not take part in the Preakness in 2019 in 2021. The 2020 events had been postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/2022-05-12/le-cheval-rich-strike-ne-participera-pas-au-preakness.php

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here