The police in Essen are investigating suspected attack plans at two schools against a young person. “We can confirm that the suspect is a 16-year-old German student at the Don Bosco High School,” the police said. A spokeswoman told the German Press Agency that a special task force searched the high school student’s apartment early in the morning.

The arrested person is being investigated on suspicion of preparing a serious act of violence that is dangerous to the state. The Düsseldorf public prosecutor’s office responsible for terrorism has taken over the investigation, spokesmen for the authority and the North Rhine-Westphalia Ministry of the Interior announced on Thursday.

The police found 16 tubular bodies during the access. Clocks were attached to some of these tubular bodies, and some were prepared with nails on the outside. The officials also found mixed explosives that were probably intended to be used to fill these barrels, the minister said. “The extent to which this material would have really been functional is the subject of forensic investigations.” The material seized so far is “functional, but not operational”. In addition, a self-made firearm and a crossbow with arrows were secured. With their operations, the police may have “prevented a nightmare,” Reul continued.

Spears and other stabbing weapons were also found during the search of the apartment. Police officers carried the weapons and several boxes from the apartment on the top floor of a house into a van, a dpa photo reporter reported on Thursday.

A police spokeswoman had previously said: “Fortunately nothing happened at the schools.” The young person is currently in police custody. It is not yet known whether he has commented.

According to dpa information, there are indications of right-wing tendencies among the young people. Accordingly, a manifesto was found in which he omits several people whom he says he hates.

The operations with searches at the Don-Bosco-Gymnasium in Essen-Borbeck and at the secondary school at Borbeck Castle were still running in the morning, the spokeswoman said. The suspect is a high school student and had previously attended secondary school.

According to police, she received “tips” that the 16-year-old may have been planning a crime at his current or former school. “Bild.de” reported that the tip came from a classmate of the 16-year-old. According to Reul, the police have not found any explosive devices when they searched the schools. “Every corner of the classroom is turned inside out,” he said.

In the morning, a few police cars could still be seen in front of the Catholic high school, which is attended by almost 800 students. There were no barriers, the school gate was open. But no one was allowed in. Several police officers guarded the school grounds.

“We received indications that a crime was planned in the school,” it said on the high school’s website. “In order to examine the school for evidence, we had to block access to the school today in consultation with the police.” It can be assumed that classes will go back to normal on Friday. According to “NRZ”, high school exams should actually be written on Thursday.

NRW-SPD leader Thomas Kutschaty, who lives in Essen, was shocked. “It is probably thanks to a high level of civil courage and the courageous intervention of the police that nothing happened to the teachers and pupils. From the bottom of my heart: Thank you!” Wrote the top candidate for the state elections on Sunday on Twitter.

https://www.tagesspiegel.de/gesellschaft/panorama/mutmasslicher-anschlag-in-essen-verhindert-polizei-stellt-bei-schueler-material-zum-bau-einer-bombe-sicher/28331380.htmlV2

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here