A man in his thirties was “beaten up” and then tied up by at least two suspects Thursday morning in his Île-des-Sœurs condo, while his partner was “isolated” in another room. The Montreal police have opened an investigation to determine the reason for this home invasion.
The facts occurred around 10 a.m., at the start of the day, when at least two suspects reportedly showed up at the door of a condominium located at the top of a residential tower located on rue de la Rotonde.
When the victim, a 31-year-old man, showed up at the door, “the suspects allegedly attacked him by beating him and then tying him up inside the apartment,” the report said. Officer Raphaël Bergeron, from the Service de police de la Ville de Montréal (SPVM). He also says the suspects insisted on delivering a “package in person” so they could gain access to the condominium.
The man suffered several serious injuries in the attack. From the start, he was hit hard in the face and upper body. Transport to a nearby hospital was also requested shortly after the arrival of the police, in order to treat his injuries.
For her part, the victim’s partner, a woman whose age was not specified, was “isolated” by the suspects, then confined and tied up in another room of the apartment. However, she did not suffer any major injuries.
When patrol officers arrived, the suspects had already fled. These are currently actively sought by the authorities. Thursday, the SPVM was unable to say whether property or sums of money were stolen from the home.
“The motive for the attack also remains to be determined. We do not yet know if it is a theft, or a settlement [of accounts], or even a message to pass. All of this remains to be determined, ”raised Mr. Bergeron, confirming that the victim will be met by investigators when he leaves the hospital, in order to better understand the situation.
Of note: in September 2020, almost two years ago, a 57-year-old woman was found dead in her car in the same area of Île-des-Sœurs, in the indoor parking lot of a building. at condos on rue de la Rotonde. The investigation was immediately assigned to the Major Crimes Unit of the Montreal police, among other things because the body appeared to bear marks of violence. The autopsy then confirmed that it was indeed a homicide, the fifteenth of the year to occur at this time.