A fire caused by a barbecue spread to an apartment building on Avenue des Belges in Montreal. No one was injured, but residents of at least three of the five homes will have to be relocated.

“It was a barbecue fire on the ground floor that quickly spread to the upper floors,” said Patrick Fournel, section chief at the Montreal Fire Safety Service (SSIM).

The fire broke out around 4:30 p.m. Friday, and about 75 firefighters were dispatched to the scene. They managed to bring the blaze under control shortly before 6 p.m.

“We do not yet have confirmation of how many families will be relocated with the Red Cross, but we expect at least three out of five,” said Mr. Fournel. “The damage is quite pronounced at the rear, mainly due to the fire on the terrace. »

The SSIM reminds us to exercise caution during barbecues with the summer season beginning. “When you’re barbecuing, it’s about making sure there’s nothing combustible around it, and then supervising regularly,” Fournel advises.

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/justice-et-faits-divers/2022-05-06/montreal/un-barbecue-cause-un-incendie-majeur-a-villeray.php

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here